UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2014 18:13:03 -0700
Hey everyone,

I spent the remainder of the evening birding Mink Brook. I started out near the power station where Jeff reported the Blue-winged Warbler, but that area was pretty dead (the flock had moved on) so I went over to Quinn Trail on the other side of the road (which I usually just lump into my Mink Brook preserve posts, but this area is definitely a hotspot) and refound the Blue-winged Warbler, as I mentioned. Gorgeous bird, always love seeing that species; plus a state bird for me! In addition to the BWWA, I also had a cooperative Veery and a chinking Rose-breasted Grosbeak, new for my site list for the day. With 11 species of warblers along Mink Brook and a plethora of other migrants, it was a fantastic day!

I also spent some more time observing the two empids at Quinn Trail that I had earlier. The one which I observed the longest responded behaviorally to YBFL song/calls. I was thinking it might be an immature yellow-bellied with a whitish breast but after going through some pics I took of it, its a Least. I did however get a quick glimpse at the Yellow-bellied again before it disappeared in the brush. It was calling from a hidden perch for a while, but didn't give the classic YBFL call, instead a call that sounded like a Least. But when it flew into the open briefly (responding to YBFL vocalization), it showed a yellowish breast (seemed pretty uniformly yellow from the quick view I got), a yellowish-olive back, and to me seemed a little bigger than the Least I had been looking at. I would like to get some pics of this bird to be 100% certain; maybe i'll try tomorrow evening.

Below is the list of notable species I had along Quinn Trail this evening:
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher- 1 same bird as this morning
Least Flycatcher- 1
Eastern Kingbird- 1
House Wren- 2
Veery- 1 FOS