UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:22:18 -0700
Hey everyone,

This morning I biked over to E Wheelock Rd and made my way to Balch Hill. I ran into some good birds on Wheelock, such as Blue-headed Vireo, Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Swainson's Thrush, Blackburnian Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, and Black-and-white Warbler. But then I got to Balch Hill and things just exploded. I had not even gone more than a couple tenths of a mile on Grasse Rd when I noticed a lot of activity in the forest on the side of the road; a Black-throated Blue was calling and I could see some Black-throated Greens. I got off my bike and before I knew it I was amidst an enormous flock of warblers! The flock was dominated by Black-throated Greens, but there were some other goodies to be found in it. The best bird I had was an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER foraging among the rest. This bird was drab, grayish/olive-colored but having the distinctive yellow vent.

The flock began to die down some but I went a little deeper into the woods and stumbled on even more birds, including some new ones for the flock: Magnolia, Nashville, Canada, Philadelphia Vireo. There were so many birds in the whole flock that I didn't know which way to look; my numbers below for some species are probably off some. And in total for the giant flock I had 14 species of warbler (not Pine), which is pretty good. What an exciting morning! Hopefully there will be some more mornings like that. Below is the list of birds, mostly migrants, that I had this morning.

Happy birding,

Kyle Kittelberger
Dartmouth

E Wheelock Rd/Balch Hill, Grafton, US-NH
Sep 11, 2012 9:20 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
30 species

Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Philadelphia Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Black-capped Chickadee  25
Tufted Titmouse  10
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Brown Creeper  1
House Wren  1
Swainson's Thrush  1
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Tennessee Warbler  5
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER  1     immature bird; grayish/ olive-colored with yellow vent, in a massive warbler flock
Nashville Warbler  1
Northern Parula  4
Magnolia Warbler  2
Bay-breasted Warbler  3     fall plumages
Blackburnian Warbler  5     fall plumages
Blackpoll Warbler  1     fall bird
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  5
Yellow-rumped Warbler  6