UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2012, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2012 16:22:46 -0400
On this sunny, cloudless, warm, morning, Ed Hack and I birded along a
Class 4 section of Chateauguay Road extending from Barnard south
across the Appalachian Trail to beaver ponds in the far northwestern
corner of the town of Bridgewater, VT. The road would now be  passable
south to the beaver ponds for a high clearance 4WD vehicle, but we
walked a stretch for about the last mile to the ponds. At one point as
we walked along the road we briefly spotted a moose ahead of us and
then followed some very fresh moose footprints for a short distance
along the road. Insects were also notable, especially black flies and
mosquitoes.

Among the more than 30 species of birds, 2 Olive-sided Flycatchers
were particularly notable with their characteristic "Quick! Three
Beers!" vocalizations and their conspicuous perching on the tops of
tall spruces. Least Flycatcher was the only other flycatcher species
found along that route this morning. A couple of singing Winter Wrens
were heard. The three species of thrushes found were Veery, Hermit
Thrush, and American Robin.

Warbler song was conspicuous, and we detected 11 species of warblers
including Mourning, Parula, and Canada. Most numerous of the warblers
were Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Blackburnian, Chestnut-sided, and
Black-throated Blue. White-throated Sparrows  provided a background
chorus along much of our route. The only waterbirds detected were a
pair of Canada Geese at the relatively remote beaver ponds.

George Clark
Norwich, VT