UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2013, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:01:54 -0700
Hey everyone,

For those odonate enthusiasts in the group, this afternoon, on such a terrific day, I decided to check Occom Pond and see what odes I might run into. I found a large number of meadowhawks, most of which seemed to be White-faced. I also spotted a couple Vesper Bluets on the lilypads, and what looks like a male Emerald Spreadwing, my first for NH, and a female Slender Spreadwing. A decent showing; I might check the pond again in a couple days and stay a little longer to see if I come across anything different; it would be great to run into a Darner species that isn't a Shadow, Swamp, or Canada.

I was treated though to a nice avian treat, just as I was about to leave. I noticed a flash of yellow in the bush ahead of me and, taking a closer look, realized there was a splendid male Wilson's Warbler foraging. I enjoyed watching him for some time, and also found a Red-eyed Vireo in the nearby birch trees. Besides that, not much else of interest. There was a large group of Cedar Waxwings foraging too, with adults feeding juvenile birds.

Below is the list of odonates I had; ids tentative as of now, as I quickly checked my pics.

Cheers,
Kyle Kittelberger
Dartmouth

Odonates: