UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2018, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
nancy baisley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
nancy baisley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2018 08:22:39 -0400
As always, great photos Jim. I want to share a story of one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done.  Working with a biologist and his assistant I helped capture a male GHOW at Crane Beach in Ipswich Ma. There was a pair decimating the nest eggs of the endangered Piping Plovers on the barrier beach and the goal was to rehome them. We went out into the pine barrens in the dunes at dusk on ATV’s where a baffled net was set up along with a taxidermied owl and a recording of the male GHOW.  We waited nearby with night vision goggles, heavy leather gloves, and a plan. When night fell we started the audio recording and caught quite a few bats. At midnight we increased the volume of the audio and within minutes the owl was calling back from nearby. Quickly it rushed at the stuffed owl and into the net.  All plans fell apart as we ran to the tangled owl! His feet were held together as we untangled him and got him into the cage without injury. He was tall and stoic, staring and alert: magnificent.  He and his mate were successfully rehomed to western Massachusetts. My experience in the dunes that night was more exciting than the 20 plus years I spent working as a Paramedic in urban Massachusetts.