UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2015, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2015 19:38:04 -0400
About 3 pm this afternoon, while on a walk with my dogs, I scanned the
Wilder Dam outflow area with binoculars looking for anything I should come
back with my scope for later.. Water moving fast, nothing for a bit, then
what looked very much like the Red Throated Loon that was visiting the same
spot a few weeks ago flew in and landed only close enough for me to make
out a white throat, dark topside, and slightly tipped up bill.  It looked
small, but that is awfully hard to fell so far away. I had seen the
Red-throated loon flying around in circles (with Kathy and Justin Hybels) a
few weeks ago, and it seems to me the flight was similar when it came in
for a landing. It seemed like a fairly agile landing..

I didn't remember to go back with my scope until after 7, and by then there
was nothing out there at all that I could see. I haven't seen any mention
of the Red-throated loon since I last saw it that day a few weeks ago. Has
anyone been seeing it and just not mentioning it?

I thought maybe it was a Common Loon with winter plumage, but the bill have
a consistent upward tilt to it.. so.. ?