NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:20:21 +1000

On 19/08/2011, at 7:14 AM, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:

> On 16.08.2011, at 04:11, Brian Ferguson wrote:
>
>> For a long time my Users/Applications has had only one entry - TypeIt4Me - and I've always wondered why others are not there.
>>
>> However, in Lion, this is still the case - Users/Applications folder is still there and shown in the Finder sidebar, TypeIt4Me is the only Application therein
>
> There is a misunderstanding here. Your Users/Applications folder was created AFTER the installation of Lion was completed — not during the installation, — it was created by Migration Assistance (assuming you used Migration Assistance to transfer your old data.) If you install Lion and then take a close look at the computer you will see that there is NO Users/Applications folder.

I only use Migration Assistant to transfer data between a computer which has been superseded to a new machine. However, the first time this occurred would have been 8-9 years ago to my first laptop and subsequent UPGRADES would have copied the FIRST Users/Applications folder to the next upgrade. From then on, each time I UPDATED a System on the same computer, say Leopard through to Snow Leopard on a laptop, Migration Assistant was not needed. But it was used to transfer files from MacBook to iMac.

Snow Leopard was on my iMac when I decided to add Lion.

I bought the recommended Take Control books but never got round to doing anything such as checking Preferences, running Maintenance Scripts, etc. because I work up in the middle of one night and thought it a good time to get and download and install Lion. And it happened. Right over the top of Snow Leopard. There were no changes to anything that I could see except to the major improvements to windows, etc.

For the last decade I have always installed System upgrades this way; Since I do not fiddle with any OS X System material, it has always worked.

Perhaps I'm lucky but this method works.

I suspect that the most difficult concept of Lion is with its method of "saving" files - not so much that it is done but where and how to locate stuff when needed. No doubt there will be plenty of books written on this topic alone.

PS: Installing Lion at night took at least 9h10m, but again, it worked. To install, 35m.

>> , and TypeIt4Me IS shown in Launchpad.
>
> This is in line with my experience too.
>
>> My Launchpad uses five screens, all applications are shown alphabetically. Screen 1 is for the Apple Applications; the rest appear in Screens 2-5.
>
> By me too.
>

> Kind regards,
> Žorvaršur

Regards from brianF