NISUS Archives

April 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 14:45:57 -0400

Merci pour les informations utiles.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ferren MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
To: NISUS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sat, Apr 23, 2011 8:43 am
Subject: OT: MacBook trackpad problem

While we're talking Apple bugs, my 5.1 MacBook Pro began acting up a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't control the cursor (from the trackpad). It would select and drag and misplace bits of code or text, stick and not let go of what it was dragging, and have to be shut down before it would behave. For a while.

Apple forums from October 2010 discussed the problem, and offered many magical (and ultimately, accidental) fixes.

Turned out the battery was bulging and pushing on the trackpad from below, keeping it clicked on. *Also* pushed out the bottom cover of the MacBook (which I thought was the result of some battery shuffling I had done a bit earlier).

Apple techs tell me the battery will not burst into flame, and, being 2.5 years old, needs to be be replaced in any case. So I am now running without the battery (since 99% of my laptop usage is lying in bed with the computer propped against my knees and the charger plugged in). Works fine.

Lithium batteries come in many (trade-secret) varieties, with complex chemistries whose long-term behavior is becoming apparent through customer experience. Lithium intercalated in graphite or spinel (layered-oxide) structures is safer than free metallic lithium (evidently what was in the variety that burst into flames). The non-aqueous electrolyte, often diethyl carbonate or something similar, can polymerize and create layers of plastic which, surprisingly, may actually be beneficial. Anyhow, the end result is that I have no idea what makes MacBook batteries bulge, but when they do, the symptom is annoyance at misbehavior of the cursor.

-- Ferren
(Dr) Ferren MacIntyre   1 Chemin des Echarts
Campagne sur Aude     11260 France
42.91500N, 2.20900E    +33 (0)468 748870
GMT+100
OSX 10.6.6  MacBook Pro 5,1
2.4 GHz Intel Core-2 Duo, 4 GB

(Swollen battery removed so the