NISUS Archives

May 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 20 May 2011 09:44:39 -0600
Nisus Sales: I'm including you on this post as I see it as an action
item on your part.
Also, is there any discount for family pack upgrades?
	Ben Andrus
_________________________

Erik:
It was clear to me it was not a free upgrade, but likely because I
read the newsletter slowly, knowing that I could not download any
time soon with my wimpy 32kb dial-up connection. :-) FWIW, from the
May 11 Newsletter:
	The other issue I would like to mention is that Nisus Writer Pro 2
will be a paid upgrade.
	The price will be $49 to download the upgrade, and a CD version will
be available for an extra $10 plus shipping.
	The full version is $79. There will also be a family pack and
academic pricing.
So, while the information is there, the setup could be a bit
disharmonious, in that instead of writing:
	"I regret to have to inform you it is gonna cost this time" it says
	"... like to mention . . . paid upgrade."

So Erik, I must say that your impression was not so unreasonable--
indeed the phrase "paid upgrade" certainly sounds, by the past tense
of the verb, that it is already paid for.  Perhaps it would not be so
confusing if they used words like Upgrade Fee or Charge.

Also, it explicitly states $49 to _download_ the upgrade, rather than
to _buy_ an upgraded license.

And perhaps worse, indeed, the download page: <http://nisus.com/free/
pro.php> gives absolutely no clue that I can see that there is any
upgrade fee whatsoever.  It simply gives a description and the two
download options for PPC and intel.  With that, and the "free" hard
coded into the url, why should anyone suspect there would be a cost?
The Nisus folks most certainly opened themselves to misunderstanding
on this one.  Why is there not another sentence/paragraph in the
description mentioning the upgrade prices, or explicit link to the
store.

Geoff:
As I read the pricing options, I did not take the $99 for a family
pack to be a (discounted) upgrade price.  It's a big discount
compared to buying 3 licenses at $79 each, or even compared to three
upgrades at $49 each-- you get three upgrades for the price of two.
But new purchasers get a much greater discount.  It looks to me like
the $99 family pack for three licenses is the price anybody would
pay, and if a single license user wants to get three licenses he pays
another $49 above his single license upgrade fee of $49, which comes
out to nearly the same price.  It lists no non-upgrade price for a
family pack. Thus it looks like I get no discount for having already
paid for a family pack of the previous version.

So, my question to you would be, did your purchase _require_ three
license numbers from version 1 to get the family pack at $99, or
could you tell?  If so, does anyone have a clue what the price would
be for a first-time purchase of a family pack for NWP 2.0?

Meanwhile I'll wait till the snags are ironed out to upgrade, since I
do not yet see any indications that NWP 2 provides a way yet to have
triple-click text selection and global find string operate consistent
with other Cocoa applications. :-)

Ben Andrus