NISUS Archives

July 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Knut S. Vikør" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:16:42 +0200
For Syriac in Unicode, see
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/syriac.html

These OpenType fonts seem to contain the Syriac characters:
- Titus Cyberbit: http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/indexe.htm
- GNU Unifont: http://unifoundry.com/unifont.html  [not a very pretty font]
- Code 2000: http://www.fonts2u.com/code2000.font [seems to lack one or two characters (points?), in the version I have.]

As for the input menu, Alan Woord refers to a Syriac keyboard, at
Aramaic Keyboards for Mac OS X
which is however "undergoing a facelift" as I write this. A couple of other possible sites are,
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/classics/staff/pormann/syriac/
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/syriac.html
both of which refer to Syriac keyboards. It may also be possible to create your own with a tool like Ukulele, based on the Arabic or Hebrew keyboard, as one of the sites claims to have done.
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=ukelele

Knut