NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 15:50:09 +1100
Hello Davo

>Hello Geoffrey,
>
>let me guess, ... you are still using Eudora? Your email client has
>converted the three dots (...) into S with caron (see:
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S>).
>
>Since that time I'm paranoid and I only use Unicode savvy
>applications (Mail, GyazMail and Thunderbird).

I'm sticking with Eudora 6.2.4 -- operates fine for me. I've just
taken to sending out sales emails in Mail (I use Email Merge X for
that. I have a couple of friends on Windows with whom I test stuff.

>Thanks for reminding me of Cocktail.app. I had already downloaded it
>but never actually used it. Yesterday I run MacPilot and OnyX which
>both do similar things as Cocktail.

I use Cocktail.app -- AND donated $25 for it -- when I fund it was
the only thing I could lay my hands on which worked when I was in
somewhat desperate straits with the machine misbehaving and falling
over and doing all sorts of strange things a year or perhaps two ago.

I had OnyX installed at the time -- it wouldn't even launch itself.

Cocktail installed itself and solved the problems.

>If you have 10.6.5 and repair the permissions what does your program
>(or Disk Utility) then tell you afterwards? When I do it I'm told
>there was a great number of permissions repaired (all Java related).
>Running it again will tell me exactly the same story again and the
>affected files are the same.

Yeah, same stuff. The machine works fine!!!  :D

>  > the other day I discovered Cocktail.app had an option for
>removing unused localizations.
>
>I have read many posts from people reporting not being able to start
>and/or run certain applications (Word and other Microsoft products
>come to mind) after they removed localizations so I have been
>reluctant to do this.

When you don't have any Microsoft applications on board, that doesn't
matter a damn!  :D

>When you remove Japanese localization, for example, will you then be
>able to read Japanese text documents and Japanese web pages in
>Safari afterwards?

I couldn't read them beforehand. I don't read Japanese . . . (try
these three points!!!)

>  >  But in the end, a lot of disk space was freed up.
>
>How much free space did you gain? And how many localizations did you remove?

I removed everything except English. I think I gained 10-15 GB which
was important since I only have 200GB in total and 140 GB.

Hang on -- now you've made me think! No -- that space was saved by
other stuff! The removal of localizations saved me about half of
nothing in space!!!

>  > I have migrated to a pocket-sized WD USB2 500GB HD for general
>back-up and for taking with me when I go aroaming with the MacBook.
>
>I bought Western Digital My Book Studio Edition (2 TB) several
>months ago, mainly because it was delivered with a special backup
>software which was supposed to work similar as Time Machine. . . .
>This backup software is probably the greatest crap I've ever seen,
>it's not only useless for backups it's also impossible to get rid of
>it.

What about reformatting the disk with Disk Utility? I did that with
my little (!!! 500GB is little now???) disk. Works fine. Removed the
stuff that came on it.

>  > For back-up, I am using (on the advice of someone(s) on this
>list) Carbon Copy Cloner which is very good
>
>I think Carbon Copy Cloner works pretty much like SuperDuper which I
>used earlier. I have a question regarding this. When you clone your
>disk do the ICONS appear on the new disk arranged *exactly* as they
>are on the old one?

Don't know. I run the column view, so that's the same.

>In the ReadMe File of Carbon Copy Cloner they say the program ONLY
>copies FILES THAT APPLE RECOMMENDS backing up. SuperDuper does the
>same.

haven't seen that.

>The drawback with Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper is that they can
>only backup whole disks

Absolutely not. You can select files or folders. Do total or partial
back-ups. Make disk images or just back-up stuff. Better check the
current features:

http://www.bombich.com/ccc_features.html

AND the pocket WD HD is definitely bootable. I've used it several times.

>What about word lists like this:
><http://www.june29.com/hlp/lang/pidgin.html> and this one
><http://www.ansbach-evangelisch.de/dekanat/kleines-woerterbuch-pidgin.pdf>

thanks for those -- the first one particularly.

Oddly, I don't often make typos in Tok Pisin. Maybe I'm typing a bit
slower or maybe the spelling makes more sense.  :D

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online
http://www.ad-doctor-online.com