NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:15:31 +0900
On 2011-01-12 +0900 (JST), at 5:13 PM, Ferren MacIntyre wrote:

> Unix systems depend upon being awake at 0300 to run janitorial services, so
> if your computer sleeps at night, it can accumulate caches and logs the size
> of the NY Times Sunday edition.

That was true in the past but, since Leopard or Tiger (I don't remember anymore), the maintenance scripts are not run by cron but by launchd and launchd knows how to calculate. AFAIK, scripts under /etc/periodic/daily/, for example, are run every 24 working or waking hours. So there's no problem. And have you ever checked the size of files zipped or deleted by those scripts? Or is the NY Times Sunday edition so small, thin and light?;-)

Kino