NISUS Archives

January 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:45:51 -0700
On 2012 Jan 17, Tue, at 5:38 pm, Brian Ferguson wrote, in part:

> Changing System-wide Keyboard Shortcuts needs great thought; you
> are more likely to make things worse, for example 'Command-d' for
> Duplicate is very common.

True it requires careful thought.  Not to detract from a bit, but on
my system (10.4.11) Cmd-d duplicates finder items, AND navigates to
the Desktop in open/save dialogs.  I'm quite sure it came that way
off the shelf.  I would feel very deprived if either one
disappeared.  My habits have grown to accommodate any conflict in the
mind...

I find some obscure commands are buried in the keyboard prefs under
"Keyboard Navigation".  Things that I don't see in menus anywhere.
However, I still don't see the navigate to desktop showing up there.
It just works.  How, I cannot tell.  I had supposed it was a function
of mapping to dialog-box items, but I don't know for sure.  In the
Classic OS 7.5 days I had a few programs where I could actually
customize that feature by altering the starting character of dialog
items in ResEdit.  I loved that innovation, and hoped it would become
universal, but it seems not quite so. :-(

	Ben