NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:12:24 +0900
On 2011-01-16 +0900 (JST), at 9:00 AM, jem cabanes wrote:

> I need 'continuous' access to a one-table database whose contents change over time.
>
> On one hand, I'm the only Mac user of the group; OTOH, one or two members of the group have ever dealt with any database at all.
>
> So I'll try to persuade the member responsible  of the database to use openoffice instead of microsoft, hoping that mac and windows versions are 'convertible'.
>
> If I fail, I suppose I'll be forced to use an emulator, etc...

How about trying an emulator to see if it is a viable choice?

Virtual Box (free)
<http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads>

Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day Trial (free)
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495>

Snapshot Viewer for Microsoft Access (free)
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175274>

IIRC, before downloading Windows 7, you will be asked to answer some questions. Identify yourself as *IT expert* or something alike. Otherwise, you will be redirected to elsewhere.

I don't know if Snapshot Viewer is sufficient for your needs nor if it requires MS Office or not.

Kino