LLTI Archives

November 2006, Week 5

From:
Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:25:47 -0600
Susanne,

While this is only one opinion, our distance learning program has
been in place for 8 years. We have grown and changed with technology
and we are teaching the first 4-5 semesters of Arabic, Chinese,
Japanese, and Russian. I have found that different instructors use
different technologies as available to them and based on their level
of comfort. For example, some of my instructors are doing all kinds
of really creative things with wikis while others don't quite seem to
have a good direction. Others are going gangbusters with wimba voice
tools technology. In all cases they are using IP videoconferencing
extensively and they would never consider letting go of that personal
connection with students both during desktop videoconferencing and
large classroom videoconferencing sessions where they are able to
simulate a traditional classroom experience and have communities of
learners. As for teleconferencing independent of video, that is
primarily a back up system for us since we have the videoconferencing
in place.

Some of our instructors are also using podcasting but again with
varying success based on the pedagogy they have behind it.  I don't
know that I would say that podcasting would replace teleconferencing
as it really is a one way medium, be it student created or instructor
created, the cast itself is for an audience to listen to but not
interact with synchronously. Skypcasting, from what I can tell, is
really just a trademark software way of referring to
videoconferencing which has been around for a long time using other
software applications. Can this replace teleconferencing? Much
depends on access available to your students. I don't think that you
can say that it would replace it any more so than any other available
chat program that also allows for voice and/or video.

My point, find out what you instructors needs are in an ideal
learning environment. I'm not sure what sort of investment you are
looking at for teleconferencing but the difference between regular
phone lines and using IP tools may be access and quality dependent.
Will instructors be happy with communications that may sound like a
cellphone call? How much longer until there is no longer a cellphone
quality to those calls? Can you wait that long?

Lauren
Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin