LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:42:11 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Disposition-Notification-To: "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #7850 Problems in learning a second language
>Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:56:35 -0500
>From: "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Wow!  Sounds like you are doing a lot for this student.  Remember that you are
not her/his tutor, though!  They can find tutors if they want:  and sometimes
having someone else explain the material in another way is all it takes for
things to click.

That said, how is s/he studying for the different components of the language?
For instance, what are they doing to memorize vocabulary: reading the book?;
writing out word lists?; using electronic flashcards?; making their own
flashcards?
Whatever they are doing, have them do it another way (same for verb forms).
More of the same usually isn't the answer, they're just doing things that are
ineffective (unless they're simply not doing the work, just telling you they
are).

Also, have this student take a learning preference test online and see how best
they learn (visual, aural...) and gear their exercises to that.  Also, try to
isolate particular weaknesses (for instance, I've got a fellow who's just got a
TERRIBLE ear for the language and we do oral/aural drills once/week) and work at
those.

cheers,
alex

PS  Make sure they know what all the verbs you've gone through mean as well as
knowing how to conjugate them: I've had students in the past that had that
problem, they could conjugate all day and night and didn't know what the verbs
meant!  Language up & down is no good, they need to go left and right!

Alexander Waid, Ph.D.
Professor of Spanish
Department of Humanities

United States Coast Guard Academy (dh)