LLTI Archives

July 2012, Week 2

From:
LLTI Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:04:52 +0300
from [log in to unmask]

Dear wise ones of the LLTI listserv:
Help!  Last year we got new Lenovo All-in-One Power PCs with Windows 7, and since then we have been having issues with playing DVDs that are not region 1.  Traditionally we have solved this by using the VLC media player, but we have found that some of our region 2 DVDs don't want to play and we haven't had any success with Region 6.

The answer from IT, is the standard - that the computer DVD player's region can only be changed 5 times.  According to the forums for the VLC player, some of the newer DVD drives themselves are protected.

IT suggested that we look into a region-free external DVD drive such as http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Writer-External-Optical-Drive/dp/B003M0NT1M/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1341342788&sr=1-2&keywords=region+free+external+dvd+drive (although they noted that this one is not listed as multi-region but comments say some have been successful).

Has anyone experienced this?  Does the external drive solve the issue?  If so, do you have an external drive recommendation?  I would hate to spend money on an external drive that doesn't solve the issue.

For the time being, we are using our Macs because they work ;).

Deanne

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo
Director, Language Resource Center
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

phone:  484-646-5865
email:   [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/KU_LRC
NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the addressee, and may contain information that is private, confidential or otherwise restricted from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error please notify KU immediately by contacting [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>