LLTI Archives

February 2006, Week 3

From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:59:04 -0500

Franz-Joseph,

In discussions here at Swarthmore, the Provost has basically said
that the standards, would be much the same as for books and
traditional scholarship.  The Committees on tenure and promotion
would be looking for scholarly material, in whatever form, that moves
scholarship in a particular field forward.  She didn't see the need
for the development of explicit criteria for online work ... which of
course probably does little to encourage non-traditional work.  One
person to contact for her experience would be Barbara Nelson at Colby
College, who received a promotion to full Professor last year based
on a Dossier that consisted largely of online work.

- Mike

On Feb 14, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Professor Franz-Joseph Wehage wrote:

> How do other colleges/universities look at online work (website
> development) as an integral part of promotion and tenure?
>
> We would like to integrate that part into our peer review process.
>
> Franz-Joseph
> Muskingum College, OH

Michael Jones
Director,