LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:52:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 00:17:59 -0500
>Subject: Re: #6914.4 Language lab design question (!)
>From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Victor,

Firstly, many thanks for the tip about the interiorconcepts website.

On the matter of keeping video displays below the line of sight, unless you
have something else in mind, this requires recessing the units below the
desktop with some type of (plexi)glass covering.  In the labs where I've
seen this type of installation, those using it would not recommend it (or
equivalently do it again themselves) because of two major problems.  The
first (with CRT displays at least) was light glare, even when the units are
fitted with protective hoods.  The second problem was that of ergonomics.
Recessed screens are quite a distance away and, worse, the downward viewing
angle can be quite tiring. I've never seen this done with LCD monitors,
though I wouldn't image  the problem would be any less. I also ran into the
problem of my legs banging into the under-desk well that housed the monitor.
Presumably this would be less of a problem with LCD monitors.
If you, or other colleagues, have found a good solution to these
difficulties, I'd love to hear from you.  Jack Burston