LLTI Archives

May 2018, Week 3

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 17 May 2018 17:43:56 +0000
From:
"Henshaw, Florencia Giglio" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
If you teach a 16-week course, and you want to use it every single week, then yes, it would be $160. But like the other person just responded, you can do something like 5 or 6 conversations total (for $50 or $60).
We do 4 conversations per semester (it's for a specific project). I guess it depends on the course and the level, but I wouldn't do one every single week. I would do 10 in the whole semester at most, unless students are not having any other interaction in the target language at all (e.g., an asynchronous online course).

Another alternative: conversations in pairs. Students work in groups of 2; each one buys 8 conversations (if you're still thinking of doing 16... although, I think that's too much!). They both chat at the same time with the native speaker. They would need to coordinate schedules, which can be challenging, but I figured I would I would mention it.

In our case, students don't buy a textbook for the course where we use it, so it's easier for us to tell them that's what they need to buy. Even then, some students do complain because it's an extra expense that they incur later in the semester, rather than at the beginning and at the bookstore when they buy all of their materials. They are also more aware of how much they are paying, and they think that $10 for 30 minutes it's too much. I wish it came packaged with some textbooks so students wouldn't even realize the cost. I told Todd many times... and I know that's not going to happen anytime soon :)

Last but not least: consider trying it out for "free" through one of their grants https://talkabroad.com/index/grants
The deadline is coming up in July. Once you have students raving about it, it will be easier to convince future generations that it's worth it. Just a thought!

Florencia G. Henshaw, Ph.D.
Director of Advanced Spanish
Director of the Center for Language Instruction and Coordination
4017 Foreign Languages Building
http://www.spanport.illinois.edu/people/henshaw2
http://clic.illinois.edu/