LLTI Archives

April 2014, Week 4

From:
"Otmar K. Foelsche" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:15:23 +0000

From: Sharon Scinicariello <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: #10218 Code Free VHS Deck
Date: April 22, 2014 10:04:01 AM CDT
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Cc: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Hi!

As far as I know, VHS tapes do not have region encoding.  The problem is incompatible video systems.  At this point, you are probably out of luck for anything SECAM; your best bet is to find a video service or campus media facility that has the equipment to do a conversion for you.

On the other hand, our Telecom people were able to buy LG decks that play both PAL and NTSC VHS as well as have region-free DVD players and have installed these in our classrooms.  Look for these on the sites of the various 'international electronics' vendors.  Some of the LG decks have region-free DVD and NTSC VHS, so be sure to read the specs carefully.  If you're using these with TVs, you'll also need to purchase a video converter.  Most data projectors can handle PAL.  We have had no problem with the LG decks.  Telecom has warned us, however, that it is unlikely that they will continue to install VHS players in classrooms.

We still have an old Panasonic AG-W1 VHS player, a Samsung that will play a couple of versions of SECAM, and some NTSC/PAL Aiwas.  None are available new any longer, and I would not want to buy one used.  They have been very well treated and maintained, but they are so old that their parts are beginning to fail.  The Panasonic, which is the best of all options, has begun to eat tape.  We still have a number of PAL VHS tapes that are used in some programs; however, I think it's time to start exploring the legalities of converting them or asking the faculty to find some new materials.

Good luck,
Sharon Scinicariello

Sharon Scinicariello, Ph.D.
Director, Global Studio