LLTI Archives

April 2014, Week 2

From:
Thomas Plagwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2014 20:19:29 -0400
Hi Margo:
Most so-called "language lab" headphones are sturdy,
heavy  and have ear cups , which all helps with sound insulation.

More helpful still may be the "sidetone" feature of the
digital audio lab software that feeds your own voice, from a directional
microphone back, into your headphone speakers.

No doubt our interpreting teacher would still prefer interpreter
booths.  However, while I don't have any hard data on the acoustic attributes,
we are just ordering a 2nd batch of Sanako SLH-07.

Other digital audio lab vendors offer similar headphones (I know
SANS does: http://thomasplagwitz.com/2013/10/28/a-few-thoughts-on-headphones-for-the-language-lab/).

The price seems worth the time one can save troubleshooting lesser
options.

Good luck,

thomas---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Thomas Plagwitz
|Director, Language Resource Center

UNC Charlotte | Dept. of
Languages and Culture Studies

9201 University City Blvd. |
Charlotte, NC 28223

Phone: 704-687-8762 | Fax:
704-687-3496

http://plagwitz.org | http://lrc.uncc.edu

If you are not the intended
recipient of this transmission or a person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, any  disclosure,
copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information in this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone at
704-687-8762. Thank you