LLTI Archives

April 2013, Week 2

From:
"Otmar K. Foelsche" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 00:40:05 +0000
From: kate hammond <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Subject: RE: #10006 Cheap remote Whiteboard solution
Date: April 9, 2013 9:46:35 AM CDT
To: 'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum' <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Hello

If you take a different approach to this it may solve your problem beautifully and with no technical hitches.  I assume your ‘physical’ whiteboard can be a projected image during class times but you would also like to refer  back to previous whiteboard ‘images’. The simplest method is not to buy more hardware, except for perhaps a large tablet,  but to subscribe to an online #meeting’ service.

We use GoToMeeting and have had attendees, up to 25 concurrent users at its starter price, from as far apart as China, Mozambique and Canada.  Whatever is being shown on your terminal can be projected and shown to any remote attendee.    It just means you are working on a screen or a large table instead of directly on the whiteboard but only the whiteboard image is shown to students.   Control of your software can also be handed over to any attendee for input.  Web cams can be used by you and by any attendee if required.

The technology behind it from Citrix enables high quality picture and audio transfer even using wireless links and small notebooks.   You can record any input or conversation and have them available as videos.

For USD49 a month this is great value and really works.

Regards

Kate
PS We have no commercial connection just a happy user using it for training.