LLTI Archives

August 2012, Week 3

From:
LLTI Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:38:22 -0500
from  [log in to unmask]

Dear all,

I just discovered that our institution will switch the course management
system from Moodle to Desire2Learn by the end of spring next year.  I am
wondering if any of you who are using (or have used) this system could
kindly share your experience with me.

I took a quick look at their website (http://www.desire2learn.com/), but
I had a hard time to find the information that I would like to find, as
the site does not have any search function.  I am planning to attend the
information session on the system next week, and I would like to have
your comments on the system before that so that I can ask right
questions.

I am particularly interested in the followings:

*	Handling of non-European characters, particularly Japanese and
Chinese
*	Using audio & video materials (including audio recording
function by students)
*	Using SCORM package
*	Any other functions useful for language instruction (e.g., voice
chat)?
*	Any comments comparing it with Moodle

I would greatly appreciate with any information you can share with me.

Kimi

Kimi Furuta
Modern Languages Studies Department  (Japanese)
Vancouver Island University
900 Fifth Street, Nanaimo, BC, Canada  V9R 5S5
Phone: (250) 753-3245 Extension: 2788
Fax: (250) 740-6458
E-mail: [log in to unmask] (English & Japanese)
Web: http://web.viu.ca/furutak