LLTI Archives

January 2012, Week 5

From:
LLTI Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:00:42 -0600
from  [log in to unmask]

Dear Foreign Language Instructors and Learners,

I am researching spaced repetition theory for foreign language acquisition.  Spaced repetition theory is the idea that learning material and studying it at increased time intervals helps the learner retain that material long-term. Several flashcard-based language acquisition programs use this theory in practice.

Examples of intervals (in days) are:
1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377
2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512
1, 5, 25, 120, 730
4, 30, 150, 600

I'm interested to know what you think the optimal intervals are based on your experience as a language instructor or learner.

Please take 1-2 minutes to fill out this 3 question survey and contribute to my research on intervals for learning foreign vocabulary.  No emails or other contact information will be collected in the survey.

The survey can be found here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C2S6R8G

Thank you,
Vimala Palaniswamy

The information contained in this electronic message and any attached document(s) is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients named above. This message may be confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone (603) 262-6300 or by electronic mail immediately. Thank you.