LLTI Archives

May 2014, Week 4

From:
"Otmar K. Foelsche" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2014 08:25:33 +0000

From: Jeremiah Spoon <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Panasonic AG-W1
Date: May 22, 2014 6:04:19 PM GMT+03:00
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Greetings again from Hamilton College.

We recently purchased a Panasonic AG-W1 multi-region VHS deck off of ebay. We received the deck, and, sadly, it certainly doesn’t work as advertised. While NTSC tapes work fine, PAL, SECAM, and other formats do not - and no amount of region changing on the front or back seems to be able to solve this issue. The tapes play, but they are black and white and quite degraded in appearance.

We are sure that it’s the deck as trying the tapes out on a different deck across campus showed color images with vastly improved quality.

The deck is not returnable.

Would anyone have a manual to this device that they might scan in and email over? Has anyone had issues like this before?

From a technical standpoint, I think that either A.) The playheads are worn out, or B.) The converter inside needs to be replaced.

Thanks for your time!

Jeremiah Spoon
Hamilton College Language Center Coordinator/Technician
www.hamilton.edu/LanguageCenter<http://www.hamilton.edu/LanguageCenter>
315.859.4792