LLTI Archives

February 2014, Week 4

From:
"Otmar K. Foelsche" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 14:45:36 +0000

From: Sanja Miklin <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: putting together a university language exchange website/database
Date: February 26, 2014 2:35:11 PM CST
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Hello!

My name is Sanja Miklin and I am a PhD Student at University of Chicago. I am not well acquainted with this listserv so I hope my question is OK.

I am trying to start a program at the university that would  do three things
1) enable students/families of students/faculty etc. who speak/are learning different languages to get in touch with each other and arrange one-on-one language exchange meetings (this would preferably be done online, and not through any person who would be making the matches by hand)
2) make it easy for groups of students who want to practice languages together to meet each other and announce their meeting times/places, preferably also online
3) form some sort of a searchable database where students could register themselves as native speakers of a particular language who are willing to help out different students and faculty who need a native speaker consultant (for linguistics fieldwork classes, help with translation form the field etc).

All of these would require some university affiliation for registration/log-in/access to the information.

I have very little knowledge of programming, software, web applications etc, so I would appreciate any advice on how it would be best to do this. As I am applying for a grant to do this, it doesn't necessarily have to be free, though I guess I will probably eb able to host it with the university.

Many thanks,
Sanja Miklin
PhD Student in Comparative Human Development
University of Chicago