LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 4

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:46:04 -0500
inline
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:03:25 -0500
>Subject: Re: #9959 Recording help
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Joan,
My first instinct is to ask whether your institution has a license for a Virtual
Classroom software such as Elluminate Live or Wimba Classroom.  It has been a
while since I worked with Blackboard, and so I cannot speak directly to their
functionalities when integrated fully with Blackboard but we are using Wimba Classroom
with our current LMS (Desire2Learn) because although we still have Wimba Voice
Tools, Voice Chat isn't a tool that is available with our LMS.  We create multiple
sessions, and give students the right to archive, and this allows them a space
to voice chat.  It is a bit more robust than is needed for simple voice chat and
so students need to be directed through how to do what they need to do (which
once done is simple enough), but it also eliminates the need for the students
to raise their hands to speak as they do in Wimba Voice Chat.

Another option would be to look into video conferencing applications such as ooVoo
to see if they would meet your needs.  They don't integrate into the LMS, but
students might be able to use them to do the work, and ooVoo (last I checked)
has a recording option.

Good luck!
Deanne

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo
Director, Language Resource Center
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

phone:  484-646-5865
email:   [log in to unmask]
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/KU_LRC
NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the addressee, and may contain
information that is private, confidential or otherwise restricted from disclosure.
  If you are not the intended recipient, any distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error please notify KU
immediately by contacting [log in to unmask]