LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:36:30 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Richard Kunst" <[log in to unmask]> ---

On 17 Feb 2005 Mark R. Lauersdorf wrote:

> Is there really nobody on this list that knows the answer to
> this . . . ? [how to read large 2-3GB files on DVDs on both Mac and
Windows]

I don't have a direct answer to Mark's question, but the Microsoft
Knowledge Base article KB314463 "Limitations of the FAT32 File System
under Windows XP" might be helpful. Microsoft is apparently trying to
phase out the FAT32 file system in the long run in favor of NTFS, by
deliberately building size limitations for FAT32 in successive version
of the Windows OS. I have run into two other FAT32 limitations,
neither of which seems to apply to Mark's problem.

First, in Windows NT/2000/XP you cannot format (although you can read)
a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB.

Second, in Windows XP as the KB article above states: "You cannot
create a file larger than (2^32)-1 bytes (this is one byte less than 4
GB) on a FAT32 partition."

CD/DVD file systems are a separate issue from HD file systems and you
should be sure to read up on those specifically.

Best wishes,
Rick Kunst

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
AHRB Wa Dictionary Project
Dept of South East Asia (Rm R301)
School of Oriental and African Studies, U of London
Thornhaugh St, Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG UK
Tel +44 (0)20 7898 4587
Fax +44 (0)20 7898 4319