LLTI Archives

June 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:47:58 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:57:16 -0400
>Subject: Flash Communication Server!
>From: Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum

This message is in response to Joseph Kautz's query about Flash
Communication Server.

I have been developing software using the Flash Communication Server for
almost two years now. I love it! It has been a godsend for spoken work on
the web. Finally, we have an infrastructure to allow our students to record
themselves, listen to themselves, and have them submit their recordings to
instructors (yes, I have heard about Wimba, but the price tag was way beyond
what I could justify).

I've developed two packages for sale, and have created several little
utility programs for specialized use. Response from instructors has been
very positive.

Flash Comm Server is not for everyone. It provides an infrastructure, not
finished solutions. Besides the sample apps that the software comes with, it
is not an off-the-shelf solution. You must create all the applications
yourself, using Flash MX or later.

I have had greatest success with creating the web application using the LAMP
(Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP) environment, and then using the Flash Comm Server
for the recording and playback functions. Consequently, the most
time-consuming part of my software projects is on the LAMP part of the app.
The Flash Comm part is actually very simple, provided you are comfortable
programming Actionscript in Flash.

If you'd like to see the infrastructure in action, I'd be happy to let you
see how it works from my server. I just got permission to start providing
one of my apps as a service, on a subscription basis. It's a very basic
program called Audio Portfolios. You can access the app from the URL below.
Click on the "Help/ Getting Started" link at the bottom to get information
on how to log in as a guest.

I think Flash Comm Server has a lot of potential for language learning,
especially in the current environment, in which distance learning and
distributed access are playing a greater role than ever. Not everyone can
afford the price tag of the software, and has the time to learn it, of
course, but I have been very happy with it.

Dennie

Dennie Hoopingarner, Ph.D.
Director, Language Learning Center
Michigan State University