LLTI Archives

December 2015, Week 3

From:
"Otmar K. Foelsche" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:32:15 +0000

From: Edmund Dente <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Date: December 16, 2015 at 12:45:21 PM CST

To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Subject: Re: #10457 what to do with old cassette tapes

Wait! Don't throw them out yet.

According to this article, cassettes are making a comeback. Apparently a full-fledged revival is taking place.

See this article from California State University -Northridge:

http://sundial.csun.edu/2014/10/cassette-tapes-find-revival-through-record-stores/

From the article:

Many music professionals such as Billy Sprague, owner a boutique tape and vinyl label based in Oakland called Sanity Muffin, said cassettes are likely to make a comeback.

“The hiss and flat tones are part of the ‘auditory experience<https://lizlogic.wordpress.com/category/prioritizing/>’ that makes cassettes a superior source of acoustical sound,” Sprague said.

Yet the cassettes’ warm sound may be just what is missing for people who have only listened to digital music all their life. (end of selection)

I've seen other articles about this most unlikely revival, so I wonder if "the cassettes' warm sound" isn't something that would also enhance language learning for those who have only heard instructional material in cold, clinical digital sound. (I'm only kidding about that, but, well, who knows?)

Best,

Ed

"Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead!"

                                                                   -Rose Castorini