GRAD Archives

April 2017

GRAD@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Kerry H. Landers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kerry H. Landers
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:55:32 -0400

Graduate Studies Listserv -

To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=GRAD;f63158ad.1704p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

In this Newsletter:

* Mini-MBA Seminar at Tuck - Grad Students Welcome!
* Montgomery Fellow Lunch with the author of the memoir Out of Egypt,
ANDRÉ ACIMAN
* D. E. Shaw Exploration Fellowship 2017
*
* Subscription Details

* Mini-MBA Seminar at Tuck - Grad Students Welcome! *

***********

On behalf of the MD/MBA Program we are excited to announce the 2017
Mini-MBA Seminar Series for Medical Students Residents, and graduate
students.  This series will feature three interesting and interactive
sessions taught by Tuck Faculty members.   The sessions are designed to
provide practical tools that should be useful both personally and
professionally as well as give you a taste of Business School life at
Tuck.

Space is limited.  To sign up, please email [log in to unmask]

Confirmations of registration will be sent within 24 hours of
registration.

Sunday, April 24 directions will be sent for the classes on Monday April
24 and Wednesday, April 26.  Sunday, April 30  a reminder and directions
for the May 3 session will be sent out. All sessions will be at the Tuck
School of Business, so please allow for travel time and parking (you’ll
be able to use the Thayer School of Engineering lot).

On behalf of
Alana O’Brien and Lars Matkin
MD-MBA candidates, class of 2018

Session 1:  Monday, April 24
“Culture in Healthcare” with Professor Steve Kahl 6-7:30 PM
What is organizational culture? How does it influence work, performance,
and your career? We will learn how to diagnose what culture is within a
hospital and how to manage it. This will be a hands on experience where
you can use tools and frameworks to assess your current experiences.

Session 2:  Wednesday, April 26
“Strategic Communication and Time Management” with Professor Paul
Argenti 6-7:30 PM
Over the past 25 years, Professor Argenti has provided management and
corporate communication consulting and training for over 50 corporations
and non-profit organizations in the U.S. and abroad. This session will
provide practical strategies to efficiently communicate with patients
and colleagues

Session 3:  Wednesday, May 3
“Healthcare Operations” with Professor Joe Hall 6-7:30 PM
Can’t believe the two hour delays between OR cases?  Want to know how
you can save your outpatients hours of boredom in the waiting room?  In
this session, Professor Joseph Hall, an expert on operations management
and service operations, will give a lecture on healthcare operations.
He will focus on how congestion and delay in the delivery of healthcare,
using examples from the clinic and operating room.

* Montgomery Fellow Lunch with the author of the memoir Out of Egypt,
ANDRÉ ACIMAN *

Come enjoy lunch with the Montgomery Fellow, ANDRÉ ACIMAN.

COMPARATIVE LITERATURE

ANDRÉ ACIMAN

Position: Distinguished Professor
Degrees/Diplomas: Ph. D. and A.M. in Comparative Literature from Harvard
University

Research Interests: Marcel Proust; The Literature of Seventeenth-Century
France; Madame de LaFayette; The Psychological Novel and the roman
d'analyse; Memoirs and Memory in the Twentieth Century

André Aciman received his Ph. D. and A.M. in Comparative Literature
from Harvard University and a B.A. in English and Comparative Literature
from Lehman College. Before coming to The Graduate Center, he taught at
Princeton University and Bard College.

Although his specialty is in sixteenth- and seventeenth-century English,
French and Italian literature (he wrote his dissertation on Madame de
LaFayette's La Princesse de Clèves), he is especially interested in the
theory of the psychological novel (roman d'analyse) across boundaries
and eras. In addition to teaching the history of literary theory, he
teaches the work of Marcel Proust and the literature of memory and exile.
André Aciman is executive o cer of the Doctoral Program in Comparative
Literature and the director of The Writers' Institute at The Graduate
Center.

He is the author of the memoir Out of Egypt, and of two collections of
essays, False Papers: Essays on Exile and Memory and Alibis: Essays on
Elsewhere. He has co–authored and edited The Proust Project and Letters
of Transit. He is also the author of three novels, Call Me by Your Name,
Eight White Nights, and of the forthcoming Harvard Square. His books
have appeared in many languages. He is the recipient of a Whiting
Writers' Award, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and a fellowship from The New
York Public Library's Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers. His work
has appeared in The New York Times, The New Yorker, The New York Review
of Books, The New Republic, The Paris Review, as well as in many volumes
of The Best American Essays.