GRAD Archives

October 2016

GRAD@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Kerry H. Landers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kerry H. Landers
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2016 07:00:08 -0400

Graduate Studies Listserv -

To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=GRAD;5e4ba033.1610p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

In this Newsletter:

* The School of Graduate and Advanced Studies is looking for a few good
writers
* CBRaD Poster Session
* DCAL's Learning Community for Future Faculty
* DCAL's Teaching Statement Workshops
* First Generation Lunch
* Grad Alumni Visit to talk about Academia and Consulting
* Subscription Details

* The School of Graduate and Advanced Studies is looking for a few good
writers *

Would you like to hone your writing skills? The School of Graduate and
Advanced Studies is looking for a few good writers from across the
programs to write about significant events, awards and publications from
each discipline to be featured on the home page of the School website.

Articles should be between 600-800 words and published authors will
receive a $50 stipend.

The School also offers a monthly science outreach event called Brain
Buzz in White River Junction in association with the Upper Valley Food
Coop and the Vermont Institute for Natural Sciences where graduate and
advanced students are invited to participate in a casual conversation
around their research. Food and drinks are provided at this monthly
event which takes place the final Wednesday at 6pm. This is a great
opportunity to present your research to a friendly, engaged, and
informed lay audience, make connections in the local community, and
offers a chance for lay-audiences to engage in the scientific
conversation with Dartmouth researchers. Spaces are filling fast for
this, so please reach out to participate either as an individual, pair,
or group. The local Public Access channel often films these events,
posting the video to Vimeo, which is great for those broader impact
statements!

Please contact Amanda Skinner ([log in to unmask]) for more
information if interested in either.

* CBRaD Poster Session *

We welcome all graduates researchers to participate in the 2nd Annual
Celebration of Biomedical Research (CBRaD) poster session. This event
will highlight research in all the science graduate programs under the
School of Graduate and Advanced Studies, and biomedical-related research
labs throughout Dartmouth. All are welcome to attend and/or present!

We hope to further engender a sense of community throughout the faculty,
postdocs and graduate students who do research here, as well as foster
potential collaborations. As many graduate students join us in the fall,
this is also an opportunity to demonstrate the strength and diversity of
biomedical research at Dartmouth, particularly for students seeking
rotations and thesis labs. Poster presenters will be given 5 minutes to
deliver their poster to judges, and top posters will be awarded either
an iPad, $100 gift card to Simon Pearce, and $25 gift card to Starbucks.
If poster presenters do not want their poster to be judged, then they
will be entered into a raffle where they can win other awesome prizes.
Food and beverages (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) will be provided.

As the date for CBRaD is fast approaching, we would encourage all
graduate students, postdocs and faculty interested in presenting their
own research or their lab’s research to sign up on the Google
spreadsheet linked directly below. We also have a spreadsheet for
attendees below that. Please sign up by October 12th as we will need a
final headcount for posters, food, and beverages.

**UPDATES**

Just a few updates on this event and a reminder to please sign up ASAP!

v  NEW this year! We are having a mentoring award - To qualify for this
award we would ask students to submit a short cover-letter detailing why
their mentor should win this award, along with the biosketch or CV from
that mentor.  Please submit to Gail Egner no later than October 12th.
v  This year we have 10 monitor/screens available in LSC 200, so if you
are interested in presenting an interactive poster, please send that
request to Gail.  If we have more than 10 interested in using the
monitors, we will assign them based on who replies/requests them first.
v  Reminder – Faculty, students and postdocs can present their work.
Last year we had a nice mix and it really adds to the character of the
event!

Poster session sign up:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j3LQAm9FlMAkO7yIAaIWXRazSqKZr63bX9E_yRHUu8o/edit?usp=sharing

2nd Annual CBRaD Poster Session Sign-up
docs.google.com
Posters Please choose ONE Name, Program, Department, Position ( Student/
Postdoc / Faculty), Poster Title, Mentor( s), Do you want to be judged?,
Or entered in the raffle? Shan Chen, MCB, MSB, Student, Circadian
Rhythms in Murine Macrophages, Dr. Jay Dunlap Dr. Jennifer Loros, Yes
Nichola...

To RSVP for the event:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tAQnIRch1vKS0datGkMFFIAvoZ_REV2gA6zp7DF80MU/edit?usp=sharing

RSVPs for CBRaD (non poster presenters) - October 20th
docs.google.com
Sheet1 Name, Department/ Program Brock Christensen, Epidemiology/ PEMM/
QBS Adrienne Mehalow, MSB Brooke Brauer, PEMM Alexander Titus,
Epidemiology/ QBS Diana Toledo, MSB/ MCB Colin Sheehan, MCB Muhammad
Abubakar Khan, MCB Muhammad Abdul Haseeb, MCB Janice Galejs, MCB Daniel
Mattox, Q...

We hope you all will participate in CBRaD. Please email any questions to
[log in to unmask], or the PEMM student reps [log in to unmask]
or [log in to unmask]

* DCAL's Learning Community for Future Faculty *

In order to cultivate a community focused on teaching and learning
amongst graduate students and postdocs, DCAL has established a Learning
Community for Future Faculty (LCFF). The focus of this group is to share
the rewards and challenges of college teaching, while digging a bit
deeper into best practices and techniques for teaching.  For this
month's LCFF meeting, we will discuss how to deal with problematic
situations/students in a classroom setting. We will go through mock
classroom situations to discuss how we might best respond. If you have
an example of problematic cases that you would like to go over with the
group, bring it along!