GRAD Archives

April 2017

GRAD@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Kerry H. Landers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kerry H. Landers
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2017 07:00:30 -0400

Graduate Studies Listserv -

To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=GRAD;3c94b72a.1704p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

In this Newsletter:

* Data Science Fellowship, Upcoming Application Deadline
* GRAD Alumni Research Award
* Getting Your Dream Postdoc Position
* Life Sciences Strategy Consulting as an Alternative Ph.D. Career
Option, co-hosted by the GRAD office and Putnam Associates (Panera lunch
provided)
* Syllabus Design Workshop - starts April 25

* The 2017 Northeast Student PubCon, Student-Led Publishing Conference
at Dartmouth,
* Subscription Details

* Data Science Fellowship, Upcoming Application Deadline *

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in The Data Incubator! This is just a gentle
reminder to everyone that the deadline for applications is approaching.
We are growing rapidly and admitting more fellows than ever. A few notes:
Interested in applying? Please apply before the deadline.
We are assessing and interviewing candidates who apply for the Early
Deadline first and then based on remaining availability, will take
candidates who applied for the Regular Deadline on a first-come
first-serve basis.
There is a common application for all our locations and online sessions.
Already submitted an application for this session? We encourage you to
double check your application status on the status page which has the
latest information to confirm that you have completed everything you
need.
Wondering if you qualify? Check out our FAQ.
Don't yet qualify to apply? Want to apply for a later session? Sit tight:
we will send update emails about future sessions to this email address.
If you would prefer to get these updates at another email address,
simply submit your new email here.
Know someone else who would make a great fellow? Encourage them to apply
at https://www.thedataincubator.com/fellowship.html.
Early Deadline: 2017-04-10.
Regular Deadline: 2017-04-17.
Application Link: Apply for the session from 2017-06-19 to 2017-08-11.
Trouble with the link?: Double-check that you are logging in using the
right account, try restarting your browser, or using Chrome's Incognito
Mode.
Data Science in 30 minutes: Learn how to build a data-science project in
our upcoming free Data Science in 30-minutes webcast. Signup soon as
space is limited.
Want to learn about The Data Incubator? Read about alumni experiences on
our blog or watch capstone project demos by our fellows. For the latest,
follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
Sincerely,
The Data Incubator Team (@thedatainc)
111 8th Ave, New York, NY 10011

* GRAD Alumni Research Award *

http://graduate.dartmouth.edu/admissions-financial-aid/awards-grants/alumni-research-award

Alumni Research Award

Due to the generosity of a number of loyal graduates of Dartmouth's
graduate programs, the Alumni Fund and the School of Graduate and
Advanced Studies have received donations which have been placed into a
special alumni graduate fund.
Funds for Thesis Research

The Graduate Office has decided to make a certain proportion of these
funds competitively available each year to our current graduate students
to support their research. Here are the rules and regulations governing
the dispersal of these alumni funds:

Currently enrolled graduate students, engaged in thesis research at
Dartmouth College can apply for an Alumni Research Award during the
spring term of each calendar year. (Deadline: May 5) Please follow the
page limit guidelines and submit the application to the Graduate Studies
Office, 37 Dewey Field Road, Suite 6062, room 437.
The maximum amount of each award will be limited to $1,000.00, but no
more than $500.00 of this can be used for travel. A detailed budget is
required.
Requests for travel to attend a scientific meeting or to purchase
computers, peripherals, or other forms of laboratory equipment will not
be considered. The award is designed to enhance your thesis research
activity. Thus, your request must propose something that you might not
readily accomplish otherwise. Some examples that come to mind are:
provide access to a library archive to examine an original manuscript
provide access to a specialized item of equipment not readily available
at Dartmouth
provide payment for additional subjects
perform field work at a distant site that might add an interesting
perspective to data collected from your existing, local field site(s).
The award is not intended to defray normal laboratory expenses for
consumable supplies.
Your application must include a letter of support from your advisor
which must include a statement of funds available to you for your
research.
Recipients of Graduate Alumni Research Awards will be required to submit
to the Graduate Office a one page synopsis of the activity they
conducted with their award within 30 days of completion of their funded
project.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jane Seibel in
the Graduate Studies Office, 37 Dewey Field Road, Suite 6062, room 437.

* Getting Your Dream Postdoc Position *

Recent PhD graduate in Genetics, Gilbert Rahme, discusses how he landed
his dream postdoctoral associate position in Harvard Medical School over
lunch. Gilbert will discuss how and when to apply for a postdoctoral
position, the expected qualifications for a postdoc position, what to
expect in your interview, and the do's and don'ts during a postdoc
interview.
Location:37 Dewely Field Rd, GRAD Office
Campus:
Graduate Studies
http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/3195192

lunch provided

* Life Sciences Strategy Consulting as an Alternative Ph.D. Career
Option, co-hosted by the GRAD office and Putnam Associates (Panera lunch
provided) *

Title: Life Sciences Strategy Consulting as an Alternative Ph.D. Career
Option, co-hosted by the GRAD office and Putnam Associates (Panera lunch
provided)

Timing: Monday, April 24, 12-1:30 pm

Location: 31 Haldeman

Have you been thinking about career options after you complete your Ph.D.
or post-doc? We invite you to join Alexander Busch, Ph.D. (PEMM ’13) and
his MCB-graduate colleagues from Putnam Associates for a lunch-and-learn
to hear about Consulting as a career choice.

This event is open the whole graduate community: the Putnam team will
focus on Consulting career options for science Ph.D. students and
post-docs, and will touch on options for masters candidates, too. Please
join us whether the word “consulting” is new to you or you’re already
applying to firms, and no matter how senior in your program – just
started, halfway through, or writing / defending / graduating in the
next few months; we want to share our experiences with everyone who is
trying to plan their future!

Learning Objectives:
· What is “consulting”?
o What is unique about Life Sciences consulting as a career path versus
other types of consulting or business-focused alternative careers?
o What does the day to day look like?
o What are the traits of successful consultants coming from graduate
programs?
o How and when do consulting firms recruit?
o How do I build a successful resume and cover letter for the job?
o What resources are there inside of and outside of Dartmouth to
continue to learn about the career path, whether it’s right for me or
not, and build the resume experiences that reviewers will look for?
· Putnam Associates’ offering for Ph.D. and masters-level applicants
o What makes Putnam the 2016 Vault #1 ranked Boutique Consulting Firm,
with offices right in downtown Boston and San Francisco
o Full-time positions and recruiting cycle
o The Path to Putnam, our brand new for 2017 summer mini-internship
program for Ph.D.s
· Q&A – don’t be shy, ask us anything!