ECONOMICS-SEMINARS Archives

October 2016, Week 3

ECONOMICS-SEMINARS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Kristine M. Timlake" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kristine M. Timlake
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2016 12:31:26 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

A word of explanation about the Gregg Gordon lunch talk.  You probably know that some of my research is on academic publication, but of course all of us are vitally interested in this market, our "bread and butter".  Hence my interest in arranging this talk with the library. I wouldn't want to impinge on valuable research time, but thought a lunch period during which we can get some free eats and shoot the breeze with the speaker and each other would be worth it.

The speaker is the new head of SSRN, which as you probably know was an exemplary public good, providing an open-access repository for our working papers, in a shocking move this summer bought out by Elsevier, reviled by some scholars for its dominant position in the industry. Were you puzzled by this merger? I am interested to hear about the logic from the principal and have a forum to discuss interesting issues surrounding our "bread and butter" market. And get some free lunch!  So don't be shy about signing up to attend if you are free then; should be fun.

Best,

--Chris

Christopher Snyder

Joel Z. and Susan Hyatt Professor of Economics

Department of Economics

301 Rockefeller Hall

Dartmouth College

Hanover, NH 03755