DOC-NORDIC Archives

January 2015, Week 3

DOC-NORDIC@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Daniel M. Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DOC-Nordic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:03:23 +0000
Dear DOC folks,

Here is some information about three FREE outings I'm leading this week.   If you're interested in participating, please send me an email in advance so I can be sure to have a vehicle with enough room:

  *   Tuesday, January 19:  Easy ski tour and/or snowshoe on the Moosilauke access road.  No telling what the recent rain did to the snow conditions there, but let's go find out.   I have to take some pictures of the interior of the Lodge, so here's your chance to see what it's like when it's shut up for the winter.  On the way home, we'll stop at the Warren Library to see an architectural model of the Lodge built by a local high school student.   Its supposed to be pretty good.  Depart from Robinson at 11:00.  We'll stop at Rentals for skis, snowshoes and Micro-spikes.  Back by 5:00.  Bring a lunch.
  *   Thursday, January 22:  Introductory ice-axe and self-arrest practice at the Skiway.   Being able to stop a fall by using your ice axe is a critical skill for glacier travel and for hiking on steep snow slopes.   Come along and learn how to self-arrest and travel roped on a snow field, or practice your rusty skills if you already know how.   Meet at Robinson at 12:30.  We'll provide ice axes, helmets, and mountaineering boots.   Bring a day pack, a snack and/or lunch,  and clothing to keep you warm and dry while sliding in the snow.  Back by 5:00.
  *   Friday, January 23:  Introduction to telemark turns at the Skiway.  Telemark turns are fun to do at a ski area and a useful way to turn on cross-country or back-country skis.   Free your heel and free your mind!  Depart from Robinson at 1:00.  We'll get get you fitted for gear at the Skiway and then practice on the slopes.   No previous telemark experience required, but participants should have basic cross-country or alpine skiing skills.   Back by 5:00.

Please contact me to sign up or if you have any questions.  I hope to see you.

Regards
Dan

Daniel M. Nelson, Director
Dartmouth Outdoor Programs