DOC-MOUNTAIN-BIKING Archives

August 2014

DOC-MOUNTAIN-BIKING@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Riordan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Riordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:58:12 -0400
Good Evening Upper Valley Mountain Bikers and Trail Users -

On Friday, August 11  we signed a monumental agreement with Dartmouth that
provides the Upper Valley Mountain Bike Association (UVMBA) legal license
to manage and maintain the trail network on what they refer to as the
"Landmark Tract."  This agreement was the culmination of a group effort by
many different folks who generously devoted their time through legal
expertise and top notch trail stewardship.

The trails in Boston Lot have a long and turbulent history. There have been
both attempts to ban mountain bikes and attempts to legitimize the trial
system. These effort failed leaving the future of Boston Lot uncertain.
About 5 years ago the trail network and UVMBA started to take a different
shape.  This movement prompted new discussions between the various land
owners around Boston Lot and UVMBA; mainly with Dartmouth College. Thanks
to ongoing trail stewardship, countless trips to the landmark trail, and
conversations about what this agreement would entail, we forged a strong
relationship with Dartmouth. Over time, they agreed that we have what it
takes to manage this 1500+ acre network. This is a huge responsibility and
one we take very seriously.

There are no plans to turn Boston Lot into the next Kingdom Trails.  In
fact, we would prefer the opposite.  We will begin our formal stewardship
of Boston Lot by posting trail maps, cleaning up the trail heads,
installing some signs and placing a few trail kiosks.  We will develop a 1-
5 year trail management plan that will provide for rehabilitation of old
trails, the closing of poorly built trails and the installation of new
trails.  That being said, if you build a good network, people will come to
use it. We will be ready for that influx of trail users.

All of the networks in the Upper Valley have a trail lead. The trail lead
for Boston lot is Brendan Hickey. Brendan has been a catalyst for major
change within the infrastructure of the trail network for the past five
years.  We will work together to provide communication back to Dartmouth as
defined in the agreement. Look for Brendan to be sending out his own post
in the coming days.

If you were waiting for a compelling reason to officially join
the UVMBA, this is it.  I cannot stress how much of an opportunity this is
for trail users in the upper valley. We deeply appreciate Dartmouth giving
us this opportunity.  We will be having a party to celebrate in early
October at the Nature Walk trail head.  If you have any questions please do
not hesitate to email me.  At the end of the year meeting we will discuss
the details of the contract and our objectives for the coming year. l hope
everyone will be there!

Cheers,
Brian Riordan
Pres. UVMBA