DOC-MOUNTAIN-BIKING Archives

September 2014

DOC-MOUNTAIN-BIKING@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Riordan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Riordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:32:39 -0400
Good Morning Everyone –

As most of you are aware an incredibly supportive outdoor recreation leader
passed away two weeks ago.  Hal sent out the article about Chad Denning and
many people around the UV are still reeling to understand how and
why.  Chad was a very vocal advocate for Mountain Biking and when he ran
the Stoaked Tri he provided us over $400 for helping at the race.  He was
also a key player during our discussions with Dartmouth and fully supported
our management of the area.  He was the first person to get an official
race to occur on the Boston Lot land.  This was the cap stone to the
Western Trail Running Series and it was set for this coming weekend.  The
race will go on as Chad would have wanted it to.  There will be more people
than before and probably a few who do not know Boston lot at all.

The loop starts at the hospital lap, up query, down highway, white dot, up
burnt, up droids to the top of Burnt, then down and out to the hospital
lot.  Here is last years loop: http://www.strava
.com/activities/83894402/overview

I am writing this for three reasons.  The first is let all the group know
that there is a race coming the Lot this Saturday morning at 9am.  The
course will be signed on Thursday.  Please stay off the trails or just stay
on craft that morning.

The second is that we need sweeps and trail help to assist the group with
pulling off this race.  The sweeps and middle trail folks need to know
Boston Lot well.  Our roll will be to keep people on track, get help if
needed and sweep/pull the flags at the end.  If you can help please let me
know.  The more the better.

The third is that we are going to be having closer and closer relationships
with the trail running group over the coming years.  Chad and I had spoken
about moving this event to the Nature Walk lot next year and making it a
full half marathon with 3 peaks: craft, burnt and query.  This will require
even more planning but will be an amazing event.

This is a hard email to put together as I had just hoped to go flag the
event with Chad on Thursday.  Now we will be putting it on without him.

Thank you,

Brian