DOC-BAIT-AND-BULLET Archives

September 2016

DOC-BAIT-AND-BULLET@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bait and Bullet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DOC Bait and Bullet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2016 18:19:36 +0000
Hey everyone,

This past weekend, James McJunkin and I ventured down to Beverly, MA to participate in the 2nd Annual Fall Run Striper Classic, a fishing tournament presented by Why Knot Fishing. The main purpose of this event was exploratory, as the saltwater fishing on the New England coast (only 2 hours away) presents an underutilized resource for Bait and Bullet.  James and I fished from 6PM Friday to 6PM Saturday, exploring diverse locations, from expansive salt flats to harbor dock lights, in the hope of finding fishing spots we can return to on larger bait and bullet trips in the future. The tournament itself was a success, with James winning second place in the fly-fishing Boat category, scoring 48 points (scores were calculated by adding the lengths of the top two fish caught by each angler) from his stand-up paddleboard.  He received $700 in cash and gear prizes.  I finished middle of the pack in the spin-boat division with a dozen fish, the largest of which was 24".

An additional benefit of the event was the opportunity to fish with Sean Callinan, the head of the fly-fishing club at Yale and an experienced saltwater angler in the Northeast. Hopefully a closer relationship between our two clubs, and possibly some joint outings, develop out of the time spent fishing with Sean during this tournament.

If you have any ideas for day or weekend fishing trips like this one, don't hesitate to let me know, and we can do some research and see if it's feasible for the club.

Best,

Nick Rizik '18