DCAL-GROUP-LIST Archives

October 2014, Week 3

DCAL-GROUP-LIST@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Elaine P. Livingston" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DCAL Group List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:39:10 +0000
Greetings!

Time for midterm course assessment

If you are teaching this term, you most likely have given your students opportunities to assess their learning, but have you given them a chance to assess the course overall?  We suggest you offer a midterm course assessment now to see how things are going.  You can make an appointment at DCAL to plan an assessment or use some of the questions your students will be asked when the course is completed. See: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal/resources/evaluations.html

Upcoming Events:

Know Your Copyrights: Your rights to your published work, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Tuesday, October 21, 2014
This workshop will help you with the question: "Can I post my publications in full text on....my web site, my departmental website, the institutional web site, my course site, sharing sites such as Mendeley or .....? "Learn about tools and best practices that help you in working with publishers to retain your rights to post your own published work. We'll discuss the points to look for in typical publishing contracts, learn about tools for making publishing decisions if you want to retain rights to your work, and consider the ways open and public access policies give you options to reuse your own work. Bring your examples and questions to this workshop. Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=798997
Public Listening: What the latest research tells us about how, when, and why audiences listen to presentations, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, October 22, 2014

In this interactive session, Josh Compton will share what some of the latest research tells us about the listening habits of audiences, including how, when, and why people listen, and the effects audience responses have on the speech experience. How can we better prepare students to listen well when they are audiences for their classmates? How can we help student speakers to better respond to their classroom audiences? Can a good dialogic experience between speaker and audience lead to better dialogues in classroom discussions, peer review sessions, and beyond--and if so, how can we help to foster this? Sponsored by the Institute for Writing and Rhetoric. Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=799954

Experiential Learning, 12:00pm - 2:00pm, Thursday, October 23, 2014

President Hanlon has included experiential learning as a pillar in his academic vision for Dartmouth. What does experiential learning mean? What does it look like in classes and programs at Dartmouth? In this session we will explore a little bit of theory, and then hear from faculty and students who have engaged in experiential learning at Dartmouth. Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=799911

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal>