DCAL-GROUP-LIST Archives

November 2014, Week 1

DCAL-GROUP-LIST@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Elaine P. Livingston" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DCAL Group List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2014 17:55:54 +0000
Hello-

Here is a look at events taking place next week at DCAL:

Moving Dartmouth Forward: What Does it Mean for Faculty?, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Professors Barbara Will (English), Craig Sutton (Mathematics) and Ryan Hickox (Physics and Astrnomy) have spent the past six months studying extreme behaviors on campus. What have they learned? What role can faculty play in addressing these problems--and what role should we play?
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=838391

Teaching Before Tenure, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, November 13, 2014
It is clear that we put time and energy into developing our research in preparation for tenure review, but we also spend a lot of our time designing and teaching courses. Does teaching time compete with research time? Join us for a discussion over lunch with three recently tenured colleagues, Sol Diamond (Thayer), Ekaterina Pletneva (Chemistry), and Jeffrey Sharlet (English). Though this discussion is aimed at pre-tenure faculty, all are welcome.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=806048

Teaching Science Seminar, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Friday, November 14, 2014
Science Outreach at Dartmouth - Impact on Students and Faculty: Since 2007, when Dartmouth's Office of Science & Technology Outreach was established, Dartmouth has undergone a culture shift that parallels changes in expectations for researchers across the US. Created to support faculty in outreach  increasingly required by funding agencies, one goal of the office was to create and sustain an infrastructure and relationships that would make outreach “plug and play” for Dartmouth PIs, making their proposals competitive but not not requiring them to create outreach programs from scratch.  In this session we will present data we have collected about the impact of outreach at the institution, and discuss the value of outreach for Dartmouth as background for a more general discussion of the future of outreach at Dartmouth.
Register for this seminar: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=799001

We hope to see you at DCAl!
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal>