DCAL-GROUP-LIST Archives

January 2017, Week 1

DCAL-GROUP-LIST@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Elaine P. Livingston" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2017 21:04:06 +0000
Greetings!

Here are the workshops and discussion happening at DCAL the week of January 9th:

Using Group-work in Class, 10:00am - 11:00am, Tuesday, January 10, 2017
In this interactive workshop we will discuss when and why to use groups in your courses. How best to form effective groups and get them ready to perform? What is your role in student group work? How can you design and assess group assignments? This session will be facilitated by Erin DeSilva and Kes Schroer (Educational Technologies).
Light refreshments will be provided, please register for this workshop here: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/3051426

Faculty Voice Group, 4:30pm - 6:00pm, Tuesday, January 10, 2017
The Faculty Voice Group helps faculty, new and old, improve their speaking voice and presence in the classroom, for lecturing and for leading discussions effectively. Relaxation, vocal expressiveness and strength, confidence, and finding the enjoyment in speaking are just some of the areas explored. Professor James Rice (Theater) leads this group; you may contact him for additional information. Sessions meet weekly through the term.
Register for this series: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/3052360

Understanding and Teaching Analysis and Synthesis, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Thursday, January 12, 2017
We know that both analysis and synthesis are higher order components in learning taxonomies and that they are essential to a student’s development as a college-level reader, writer, and thinker; they are key features of our outcomes. But what exactly are they? And can we tell whether we are teaching them well—or whether we are teaching them at all? This session will consider the nature of analysis and synthesis and how we might devise methods and assignments that will make their purpose and practice sharper for both writing instructors and their students.
Lunch will be provided, please register for this discussion here: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/3033885

Teaching Science Seminar, 12:45pm - 1:45pm, Friday, January 13, 2017
Do our students collaborate more than we would wish on homework problems in science, math and statistics courses?  This seminar reviews the evidence for such counter-productive collaboration and presents the outcomes that followed introduction of individual homework problems in an engineering sciences core course. Relevant to all faculty who assign problem sets. Professor Stuart Trembly<https://engineering.dartmouth.edu/people/faculty/stuart-trembly> (Thayer) will lead this session.
Lunch will be provided at 12:30, please register for this seminar here: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event/3051428

Enjoy your weekend!

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
w. dcal.dartmouth.edu<http://dcal.dartmouth.edu>