DCAL-GROUP-LIST Archives

February 2015, Week 2

DCAL-GROUP-LIST@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Elaine P. Livingston" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DCAL Group List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2015 15:06:55 +0000
Greetings-

Take a look at the events happening at DCAL next week:

Student-Faculty Dialogue on Moving Dartmouth Forward, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Tuesday, February 17, 2015 AND 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Tuesday, February 24, 2015
On January 29, President Hanlon announced a five-point plan for Moving Dartmouth Forward. I am writing to invite you to participate in a student-faculty dialogue about this set of initiatives. The aim is for faculty and students to share their views with one another and to generate some concrete responses to the President’s proposal. Please take a look at the Plan for Implementation (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~president/forward/) to prepare for this discussion.
To register, please select one of the two dates and click on the registration link:
Tuesday, February 17th from 12 to 1:30pm: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=924456
Tuesday, February 24th from 12 to 1:30pm: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=924457

New Faculty Luncheon, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Teaching with Discussions: What are the various ways we can help students articulate their ideas in class? What do you do about the quiet students, especially if you count participation in your grading?  We will generate answers to these questions and more you can share what works for you in your teaching.
Register for this luncheon: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=882315

Fair Use in Teaching: a “Know Your Copy Right” workshop, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, February 19, 2015
How can I know if my use of copyrighted materials for teaching falls under 'Fair Use'?  Is it OK to post PDFs of articles, chapters, or video materials in my Canvas site, and how much can I post?  I want some – but not all – of my Canvas website to be publicly available -- is this possible?  During this session Dartmouth librarians and instructional designers will work with faculty to find answers to some of these common questions.  Using Dartmouth’s new copyright policy and guidelines, as well as best practices in specific fields such as documentary films and other tools such as Creative Commons and open educational resources, we will decipher what copyright and Fair Use mean for your teaching.  Bring your own questions and examples.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=880509

Lunch will be provided at all midday events.

We hope to see you soon at DCAL!
Elaine
Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal>