CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kappa Kappa Kappa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kappa Kappa Kappa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2022 19:26:55 +0000
The Kappa Kappa Kappa Society (“Tri-Kap”), a fraternity at Dartmouth College and the oldest local fraternity in the United States, today announces the change of its name to the Kappa Pi Kappa Society.

The Kappa Kappa Kappa Society was founded on July 13, 1842, as Dartmouth’s first local fraternity and based on the principles of democracy, loyalty, and service.  In the 180 years since, thousands of the Society’s members have positively impacted the Dartmouth community and beyond.

Twenty-five years after Tri-Kap’s founding, a hate group formed with values diametrically opposed to those of Tri-Kap.  Regrettably, the three “Ks” of that group bear an unfortunate resemblance to the three Greek “Kappas” of Tri-Kap.  The Society recognizes this resemblance has caused discomfort to members of the Brotherhood and to the Dartmouth community.

The decision to adopt a new name and letters for the Society is the result of a considered, multi-year process of engagement with the Society’s more than one-thousand undergraduate and alumni members.  The new name, Kappa Pi Kappa, was selected with the overwhelming support of both the Brotherhood’s undergraduate and alumni members, and was approved unanimously by the Society’s Board of Directors.

Jack Hargrove ’23, the Undergraduate President, commented:

“A name change has been a frequent point of discussion within the Brotherhood’s undergraduate membership for years.  We are proud to have worked closely with the Society’s Board of Directors to help build consensus across the entire Brotherhood in favor of a name that will help us promote the core values of our organization and the interests of Dartmouth College.  The undergraduates are excited to continue our Dartmouth experience as brothers of Kappa Pi Kappa.”

Greg Smith ’85, Chairman of the Society’s Board of Directors, further commented:

“Following a multi-year process of engagement, both the Brotherhood’s undergraduates and alumni overwhelmingly supported a change to a new name and a new set of letters.  We are proud of the history of our organization and the many positive contributions of our Brotherhood to the Dartmouth community.  We look forward to continuing to promote the principles of democracy, loyalty, and service to Dartmouth College as the Kappa Pi Kappa Society.”