CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ledyard Canoe Club <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ledyard Canoe Club <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2017 21:20:29 +0000
Happy 17S from Ledyard!

Like many of you, we too, are excited about the warmer weather—our rental business is opening up soon (early or mid-May), rivers are running, and there’s tons of potential for paddling related fun!

Some of you, however, might not like to paddle. We’re a little sad about it, but it’s ok…we’ll get over it eventually. You do other things, like hiking, drinking, or swimming!

We’re sending this email to inform your safety in undertaking the latter two activities. Swimming can be a fun activity. If you feel that way, join some of the many clubs that provide you with opportunities to swim, among them are the club swim team, the water polo team, several water aerobics classes held throughout the upper valley, or the Dartmouth Synchronized Swim Club (which may or may not exist). As for your interest in drinking, there are a variety of ways for you to pursue that on Dartmouth’s campus as well. So ubiquitous are these opportunities that we feel no need to enumerate them here.

BUT Ledyard is not a club for swimming, drinking, and certainly not for doing them at the same time. The Connecticut River is still very cold (~40° F at the moment) and moving much quicker than normal due to spring runoff, and despite recent increases in air temperature, it is not a good place to swim, not during the day, not sober, and ABSOLUTELY NOT AT NIGHT. The pool is a good place to swim! But the Connecticut River is not.

S&S would like us to remind you that even when the river is warm, it’s not an acceptable place to swim. You’ll have to take up decisions you might make as a sober person on a hot summer day in July with S&S. But we implore you, for your own safety not to swim in cold, fast moving water on the Connecticut this early in the year.

In summary, the Connecticut river: a great place to paddle; not a great place to swim. For those who want to swim, go to the pool. The pool will not give you hypothermia. The Connecticut River, however, will give you hypothermia, being drunk increases the likelihood of this. Hypothermia (and drunkenness) inhibits your abilities to get out of the river, which you will quickly find yourself wanting to do. Let’s keep ourselves and others safe.

Your friends at,

Ledyard Canoe Club