CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Rockapellas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rockapellas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:11:48 +0000
Locked Up Inc.
An original performance by the students of WGST 66.5 "Telling Stories for Social Change" and the Inmates of Sullivan County Department of Corrections.
Through a series of short skits and monologues, the performance will highlight social and personal issues surrounding incarceration in society today.
Join the dialogue.
Thursday, October 25 6:30pm
Friday October 26 4pm
Sullivan County Department of Corrections
**See official invite below for RSVP information and directions**
Dear Friends,
We would like to extend an invitation for you to join the students of Dartmouth College’s WGST 364/ WGST 66.5 "Telling Stories for Social Change” along with the male inmates of Sullivan County House of Corrections, for a collaborative and original end of term performance.This community-based learning course, taught by Pati Hernandez, offers students the unique opportunity to study our increasingly elusive, ever-growing incarceration system from two distinct perspectives, theoretical and practical. Students have focused on the issues prisoners face both inside and outside prison; incarceration, rehabilitation, and transition, while simultaneously exploring facilitation with critical analysis and self-reflection on the effectiveness of community-based learning and performance in rehabilitation. We would like you to join us in the culmination of this course – the creation and performance of an original production that focus on the voices of inmates.

If you would like to participate, please provide the names of those attending as well as which performance you are requesting, to: Reese Ramponi (our TA) [log in to unmask] by Tuesday, October 23rd. (Please note that your name must be on the list as having confirmed your attendance in order for you to be admitted.  Due to the limited number of seats, please only sign up if you are positive you can attend.)

If you are able to join us…
•       Please arrive at the facility at 6:00 Thursday or 3:30 Friday, so you have time to check in and find a seat.
•       Bring only a photo ID and car keys, leave everything else in your car i.e. cell phone, purse, etc.
•       Please abstain from chewing gum and wearing revealing clothing.
If you need transportation, please let Reese Ramponi know.  We will have arrangements to facilitate transportation to those who will need it.
Directions: Head west on New Hampshire 10A W/W Wheelock St toward Mass Row Continue to follow W Wheelock St Entering Vermont. Continue onto Trescott Rd/Vermont 10A W. Turn right to merge onto I-91 S. Take exit 8 for VT-131 toward VT-12/US-5/Ascutney/Windsor. Continue onto VT-12 S Entering New Hampshire. Continue straight onto NH-12 S/Main St/Old Bridge Rd Continue to follow NH-12 S. Turn right at Broad St/Tremont St Continue to follow Broad St. Slight left at Chestnut St. Continue onto Chestnut St Exn. Continue onto 2nd New Hampshire Turnpike. Continue onto County Farm Rd. Arrive at Sullivan County Jail House.
Address:
Sullivan County House of Corrections
103 County Farm Road
Claremont, NH 03743-7302
Tel: (603) 542 8717
We hope to see many of you at the performance,
Pati Hernandez

“Nobody knows nothing. Nobody knows everything”
–Paulo Freire

“Democracy has to be born anew every generation, and education is its midwife.”
–John Dewey