CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
The Tabard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Tabard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2018 16:33:16 +0000
After the events of this term, the Tabard has taken time to reflect and craft a response that reaffirms its commitment to the protection and support of vulnerable groups on campus. We stand in solidarity with and seek to uplift the marginalized communities on Dartmouth's campus. We denounce the idea that minorities are incapable or unworthy of holding positions of power and affirm that their work is meritorious.

Furthermore, we recognize that it is important to move beyond words and to take action to create a campus in which marginalized groups are safe from attack—physical or verbal, explicit or implicit.

In the coming months, we will start by taking concrete steps to make our house a safer space for the LGBTQIA+ community, persons of color, differently abled, and any and all intersection(s) of these identities. We are currently working to put on open events for future terms featuring speakers, discussions, socials and media screenings in hopes of actively chipping away at the injustices on campus.

In this vein, and hopefully as the first of many to come, we will be hosting (termly) Sweet Wars - an event where teams can sign up to make (any kind of) sweets and compete with other teams (having students as the judges!) with all proceeds going to WISE and/or Haven.

We as members of Greek Life and as a part of the greater campus community must recognize that we have a long way to go.

The following are organizations that do great work supporting marginalized communities on our campus and in the greater area:

WISE (http://www.wiseuv.org )

Haven (https://uppervalleyhaven.org<https://uppervalleyhaven.org/>)

Sexual Assault Peer Advisors (SAPAs) (http://www.dartmouth.edu/sexualrespect/get-involved/sapa.html)

OPaL (Office of Pluralism and Leadership - (https://students.dartmouth.edu/opal/)

4A - Asian/American Students for Action

BGAM- Black Girls Are Magic

DASA- Dartmouth African Students Association

DAO - Dartmouth Asian Organization

DCC- Dartmouth Caribbean Connection

Dartmouth CoFIRED- Coalition for Immigration Reform and Equality at Dartmouth

Dartmouth SPECTRA

La Alianza Latina

LASA- Latin American Student Association

MoCA- Men of Color Alliance

NAACP @ Dartmouth

Native Americans at Dartmouth

and many, many others.

No one deserves to have their life threatened or their work/efforts minimized. As a campus, we must do better to ensure the safety of all of our members.

Should you have any questions, comments, and/or concerns, please reach out.

The Tabard

**The opinions of this letter are a result of a house discussion and do not represent the views of every individual in our community**

Written by:

Valentina E. Garcia Gonzalez

Class of 2019

HB 1466

Dartmouth CoFIRED Co-Alliance Director | Latinx Community Student Coordinator