CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
OPAL Impact <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OPAL Impact <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2017 20:30:48 +0000
B.R.U.S.H.E.D. -- Beauty Reclaimed, Upended, Shaken, Humanized, Expanded, Darkened -- is now on display in the Collis Atrium.

BRUSHED is a project for those brushed aside.
This project is an effort to challenge elitist, Eurocentric standards of beauty (on Dartmouth's campus and beyond) through artistic displays of, and for, students of color.
This project questions the narrow notion of what a 'muse' looks like.

You might ask why beauty is the focus of this project:
The project's initiator, Liza Wemakor '18, believes "Beauty is very political. It is tightly bound to how much humanity we perceive in one another, and how well we treat one another. I believe the celebration of beauty could be a wonderful conduit for love, but it becomes harmful when it is limited to select people, and policed by hierarchical standards. I want to reclaim beauty as something that is not limited. I hope this project will make space for that reclamation." Much of her inspiration for this project came from 'modeling' for artist Samantha Modder '17 in Summer 2016. Viewing herself as an artistic muse for the first time was a powerful experience that she hopes to share with more people.

**Statements from BRUSHED artists and muses are on the Collis Atrium bulletin boards