CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Thought Project <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thought Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2016 23:09:10 +0000
Monday, February 29th at 6:30PM
Wheeler 2nd Floor Common Room
Dinner with Professor Faith Beasley

Faith Beasley<http://dartmouth.edu/faculty-directory/> is a professor of French<http://frandit.dartmouth.edu/> and women's , gender, and sexuality studies<http://wgs.dartmouth.edu/> and has taught at Dartmouth for twenty-nine years. She specializes in French cultural history of the early modern period, specifically the role of women and the salons in literary culture and history. In 2012, Professor Beasley was awarded a Guggenheim fellowship, which recognizes "stellar achievement in the past and exceptional promise for continued accomplishment." She used it to complete work on her book, Exotic Encounters: France's Ancien Regime Meets India, which explores the link between France and India in the 17th century.  Her two previous single-authored books were on French women writers, history, and collective identity.

Come discuss women's history and feminism with Professor Faith Beasley!
Why is there a divide between those who use the term feminist, and those who don't? How did this divide come about?
How are women leaders portrayed in the media and why?
A Washington Post article<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/our-impossible-expectations-of-hillary-clinton-and-all-women-in-authority/2016/02/19/35e416d0-d5ba-11e5-be55-2cc3c1e4b76b_story.html> describes a "double bind" that women in leadership positions face. Do you agree? Are the qualities that we expect in a "good woman" the "opposite" of what we expect in a "good leader"?

RSVP to [log in to unmask]

Organized by the Thought Project Living Learning Community and sponsored by Programming Board.

The Thought Project is a Living Learning Community in Wheeler Hall. Each week, we host a Food for Thought dinner with a faculty member and a variety of social events.

Visit our website at www.dartmouththoughtproject.com<http://www.dartmouththoughtproject.com/>