CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chi Delta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chi Delta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 21:30:15 +0000
Dear Dartmouth community,

We write in response to the “You’re Not Tripping” op-ed published in The Dartmouth on Friday. In it, the author alleges that the Trips Directorate selection process was discriminatory against white males and selected women and people of color on the basis of identity, not merit. We firmly reject these claims and stand in solidarity with the Director, Assistant Director, Directorate and communities attacked in this article.

Perhaps the author’s most violent and hurtful assumption is that women and people of color cannot earn positions on the basis of merit alone. Marginalized people face hardship on a daily basis at Dartmouth and this article promotes the erasure of these communities. We will not stand for this. Furthermore, the author displays an ignorance of privilege and oppression.

As Trip leaders, Croo members and Directorate members, many Chi Delta sisters have worked closely with the current directors and can attest to the passion, dedication, and hard work these women put into their roles. We are confident that the directors were both rigorous and meticulous in the selection process and that each and every member of the Trips Directorate is supremely qualified for their position.

Trips works hard to improve itself year after year and to serve as a positive force in the Dartmouth community. We are saddened that it has been slandered in such a manner.

As members of the Greek System and the larger Dartmouth community, we will not stand for the sexism and racism presented in Friday’s op-ed. While we reject ad hominem attacks such as this, we hope that it serves as a catalyst for discussions about privilege, power and systems of oppression at Dartmouth.

In solidarity,

Chi Delta Sorority